Monday, December 14, 2009

Fantasies no more

Even if Me and Orson Welles hadn’t been so well-acted; even if it hadn’t explored the ambitions, envies, inspirations, insecurities and egos that drive the theatre world with as much insight; even if, Claire Danes hadn’t looked quite so radiant, Zac Efron as charming, and Christain McCay as flamboyant; even if, it wasn’t a well-told tale of the coming of age of a cocky teenager against the backdrop of Orson Welles’ 1937 theatre company in New York – I would have still enjoyed the film.

Because after watching Fantastic Mr Fox, The Imaginarium of Dr Parnasus and 2012 in succession, I couldn’t bear to watch another film where humans, if at all, appeared as props to their more fantastical computer-generated counterparts. I wanted to watch a film where the agonies, joys, treacheries, dilemmas and nuances of the real human-inhabited world around us were the main and only focus brought to life by flesh-and-blood actors.

That Me and Orson Welles did it well was a bonus.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so envious you've got to see Fantastic Mr. Fox!

globalbabble said...

Yes, there are some advantages to being in London. Even if it means, jobs in journalism for 30-year-old Ms Me begin at the "get-coffee-for-boss" rung.

Anonymous said...

OMG! You're living out "Wake Up Sid"! :-D Congratulations on getting the job, though. Hugs.

globalbabble said...

There are no jobs - the one I mentioned is an internship starting next week for two weeks. Need I mention that it is unpaid.

That is what bothered me about Wake Up sid. First the bugger gets an internship, thanks to hobby photography and failed Bcom. And then, it is a paid one at that. And what does he get paid for, holding the tripod and one picture in the whole month - that oo because he pleads to the editor. I wonder where do such over-staffed and over-funded magazines exist. I want to move to that city.

I really wonder what tosh Leo fed to that director.